Everyone wants that glorious, sweet, silky-smooth top end in their masters – but how do you get it ? How do you stop things sounding harsh, tinny and brittle ? And even if the high frequencies do sound gorgeous, how hard should you push them ? In this show we’re talking about treble, and our topics include:
- What is “Newton’s 3rd law” of EQ ?
- How do room acoustics affect how you hear high frequencies ?
- How can you “calibrate” your ears so you’re aiming for the right amount of top ?
- How do dynamics interact with high frequencies, and why does it matter ?
- What’s a “spiderman” plugin ?
- Which EQ plugin or hardware unit should you use for the best results ?
TMS #08 – You need this (Why acoustic treatment matters)
Building a home mastering studio – acoustics
7 crucial EQ bands to help balance your mix
Reference tracks – Ian’s “showreel” playlist
12 of Ian’s favourite albums for sound
Gearshoot – compare mastering EQ & plugins for yourself
Home Mastering Masterclass