People are talking about minus 14 LUFS loudness more and more these days, but why ? What does this number mean, where does it come from, and why should you care ?
In this episode we answer all these questions and more, including:
- Which streaming services are using -14 LUFS
- Why Spotify aren’t using -14 LUFS, and why it matters
- Why you shouldn’t use minus 14 LUFS as a target (or any number) but
- Why it’s still important and useful to know about anyway
- Will mastering to -14 LUFS make your music sound bad ?!?
- How (and why) Ian’s beliefs about loudness are bring challenged
TMS 41 – The problem with loudness normalization – and TIDAL’s solution (Plus a brief history of LUFS)
r128x-GUI – Free loudness measurement app for OS-X