Yes – it’s The Dither Episode !
But hang in there, it’s not as bad as you might think. My guest host this week is Jon Tidey from reaperblog.net, who hates talking about dither, so I had to work hard to keep it interesting. And I think I succeeded, mostly!
We cover loads of topics, like why the analogy of hi-res digital audio with digital photos is wrong (or at least deeply misleading) and why dither means digital ‘resolution’ is NOT a real thing.
- Why dither helps prevent your audio from ‘sounding digital’
- How the right kind of dither can make even 8-bit audio sound OK
- Why it works – and what that has to do with my lava lamp
- Whether we can *really* hear the difference
- How to test yourself using “Gangnam Style”
- Why you should stop worrying and just dither !