We all want great low end – deep, fat, solid and punchy. But it can be one of the hardest things to get right – especially knowing how much of it is needed. Too much bass can sound boomy, flabby, muddy or dull.
And as a result, it’s easy to be scared of bass. It’s easier to be cautious and avoid all those possible problems, right ? Well, maybe. Except if the low end isn’t working in your master, you risk the opposite problem – everything can sound weak, thin and harsh.
In this week’s episode we talk about ways to avoid all these problems, including:
- The one thing you shouldn’t do – and why
- The deceptively simple thing you should always do
- Will a sub-woofer help, or hinder ?
- How EQ for better bass can sometimes make things worse – because phase
- Dynamic EQ versus multiband compression
- How distortion might help
- Ah, duck it