“How loud will my music sound online ?” It’s the question everyone is asking these days, and the answer has always been “it depends”. Until now.
In this episode Ian Kerr from MeterPlugs talks about the new tool he has been developing with Ian Shepherd to answer this question. It’s a website called Loudness Penalty, and it’s free !
Along the way we also discuss
- Why -14 LUFS isn’t the right target for online loudness
- Why Ian Kerr decided to make plugins that won’t change your audio – but will make it sound better
- How coding 3D computer game graphics helped him develop LCast and Dynameter
- Why the Ians decided to make Loudness Penalty free
- How to use Loudness Penalty to find out what your music will sound like online
- Why different streaming services all manage loudness in different ways
Ian S demonstrates Loudness Penalty
Bob Katz’s K-System
Users prefer musical balances between songs – the proof
How to decide how loud to master