Gain staging used to be a crucial consideration for analogue recording and mixing – but you’ll hear plenty of people saying it doesn’t really matter, in a modern digital audio workstation. And they have a (floating) point.
But you’ll also hear lots of other people, me included, saying it IS important to understand what gain staging is and how it works, even in a digital environment.
So who’s right ? In this show we dig into the details, and discuss:
- How much peak headroom should you leave before mastering ?
- What IS gain staging, anyway ?
- Why do people say it doesn’t matter in digital ? Or:
- What’s the point of floating point ?
- How does it work ?
- When digital gain staging does matter
See this stuff in action on the Home Mastering Masterclass