Dynamics. I talk about them ALL the time. “This song has great dynamics”… “make sure you keep plenty of dynamics”… “your music NEEDS balanced dynamics”… but what actually ARE they ?
Just like everything else we talk about on this show, dynamics are more complicated than they might seem at first glance. For example, there are at least two different types ! In this show we unpick the topic and try to shed some life on the truth about dynamics, including:
- Why the loudness war hasn’t reduced loudness range
- Why “DR” measurements don’t measure dynamic range
- Why “crest factor” is a better term, and how it relates to the two types of dynamics
- The natural dynamics of different sounds, and
- When you don’t want to hear them
- What Ian really thinks of the Prodigy, Skrillex and the Chemical Brothers – and their dynamics
- How to measure dynamics
TMS #21 – Why digital “resolution” doesn’t exist – because dither
TMS #31 – What IS Loudness ?
How to use the TT Meter
Why the Loudness War HASN’T reduced loudness range
Ian Shepherd’s Dynameter Plugin by Meterplugs
Why your EDM will sound better with more dynamics – and 6 places to find them
Compression and limiting – the Punchbag Analogy