How should I prepare for mastering to get the best results ? It’s one of the things we get asked most often, and it often seems like the answers are really straightforward. But then you record a 50-minute podcast answering the question and realise maybe it’s not quite as simple as it seems, once you get into the details…
(And even if you’re planning to master your own music, keep listening – almost all these points still apply !)
In this show we cover topics like:
- Seven deal-breaking mistakes that can halt the mastering process in it’s tracks – before it’s even started
- The best file format to use for exporting your mixes
- How to send files – is it safe to “zip” audio ?
- Dynamics for mastering
- What can (and can’t) be fixed in mastering
- Ian’s “Mastering Maxim” for getting the best results when working with a mastering engineer
TMS #26 – Clipping: What is it, and is it ever acceptable ?
TMS #6 – Loudness: What, Why and How
TMS #31 – What IS Loudness ?
TMS #32 – Bob Ludwig (Loudness meters while mixing @ 35 mins)
The importance of loudness matching