The most common question I’ve been asked since starting the show is – “how do I balance songs against one another ?”. Especially balancing quiet and loud songs, or when they’re from diverse genres. So in this show, we try to answer that – and touch on many other topics, too:
- The mastering tip that’s almost too simple to say – but embodies the heart and soul of mastering
- Why Ian doesn’t master single songs any more (if he can help it)
- Do all digital EQs sound the same ? And Ian’s new favourite (free) EQ plugin
- Why we need “Album mode” to stop loudness management sucking the heart out of our music
- The first thing Ian does in every mastering session
- A ninja loudness trick when balancing quiet & loud songs
- Should you use automation when mastering ?